Tuesday, February 7, 2012

The Pastor


On July 25, 2004 at approximately 9:30 p.m., I sat in my car outside of the auditorium looking up at the large white cross that hangs on the front of it. The church had voted that evening and had extended to me the call to be their pastor. I had gone home after the service while they voted, and had now returned to be alone and make certain the will of God.
As I sat in my car in a now empty parking lot, I asked God out loud "Are You sure? Pastor?" The thought frightened me some what, and yet I knew as tears ran down my cheeks that God wanted me to do just that. I immediately, and haven't stopped yet, began to ponder and study as to what a pastor is and what God expects of him.
I am blessed to have been raised in a home of a pastor, to have watched a Godly grandfather pastor his flock, and to sit under a few other pastors who have been greatly used of God. I am privileged to have met hundreds of other pastors as a young man, and to sit, watch, listen, and learn from them.
I have also in my lifetime seen some pastors who abused their calling. I sat under pastors who spent time later in jail, and some died in disgrace.
I knew a pastor is to "heed, feed, and lead!" I knew the pastor is to be an overseer. I could pass my pastoral epistle test in college, list every qualification in Scripture for my Baptist Distinctive test, but for the first time in my life I REALLY considered, "What is a pastor?"
Summary: I've learned a lot and still have much to learn.

On this blog this year, I will write every three weeks-first on the topic of the pastor.
My father will continue writing every week after me as his health permits.
Pastor Rick Sallee will write every third week on Ohio Baptist History.

No comments: