Monday, February 1, 2010

Where to start?


We have been given instruction from the Lord in John 4:24:
God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

There are many 'forms of worship' out there today. Many have taken upon themselves to determine what worship is. The Word of God instructs us to worship. I believe the Bible teaches three types of worship:

1. Ignorant Worship-Acts 17:22-23 "Then Paul stood in the midst of Mars' hill, and said, Ye men of Athens....I passed by, and beheld your devotions, I found an altar with this inscription, TO THE UNKNOWN GOD. Whom therefore ye ignorantly worship..."
2. Invalid Worship-Matthew 15:8-9 "This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me. But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men."
3. Impeccable Worship-John 4:24.

The first is a worship that is in error due to a lack of knowledge. The second is a worship that is in error because it disregards what the Word says and acts upon what man wishes to do. The third is correct, for it is done in spirit and truth-correct attitude and authority.

One purpose we assemble as a church is for the worship of God. This worship is achieved through various means: Preaching, singing, observing the ordinances, giving, prayer, etc. It is these means of worship that we will begin our study upon. We should desire to worship in spirit and truth. I do not desire my worship in these areas to be done invalid or in ignorance. Thus we must put aside all of our traditions of men and look to God's Word. With this humility and foundation, our worship can be done in the right attitude and with the correct authority.

What are we looking at? When did anyone in the church lead in prayer? When did 'choirs and specials' begin? When did we quit "laying at the apostle's feet" our offerings and start the 'pass the plate?' When were 'invitations' with song and piano used in Scripture? Why are the lights turned down and music played softly during an observance of the Lord's Supper?

I desire not an argument, but authority. I desire not an enemy, but exhortation. I desire not to confuse, but to confirm. I desire our worship to be done in spirit and in truth!

No comments: