Sunday, June 28, 2009

I did it my way

As I sit down to write this post, my heart is heavy. Reason being that, while its easy to look at the results of a poll and think how sad it is that there is such an inconsistency of believing the Bible and yet not following it, as I look back on my life and decisions I've made, I must admit its not as easy as it seems. Simple, yes; easy, no. One would think for a young person growing up in Christian circles that it would be second nature for that one to follow the principles and teachings of God's Word. That, however, is not the case. The question then follows, Why not? Many explanations could be given, but the simplest and most logical is that that young person, while perhaps told what to do and how to live, was not often enough shown. In other words, I've heard a lot of sermons on revival, but I've never actually seen anyone in a revival. We tell our youth to live according to God's Word, but are we showing them how to live accordingly?
Going back to my opening statement - looking back at decisions I have made not in accordance to God's Word, I must confess there are some things I wish I had done differently. I thank God for the wife that He gave me and wouldn't trade her for the world; but I think how much better of a husband I would be and how much better a relationship we would have had I listened to the Lord instead of my peers when it came to dating. I think how much money I wasted on purchases that I made without giving God a second thought on the matter. How many decisions could have been made for the glory and honor of the Lord that instead I now regret because I did it my way. And this is the hardest thing to live with - I knew exactly what I was doing. I cannot plead ignorance. This is never a viable excuse for a child of God, because if you have the Holy Spirit in you He will tell you exactly what you ought to do. Parents, we must teach our children to obey, to listen for that still small voice and then to heed it. We, then must set the example; we must be listening for His voice first. God forgive us for the many times we have ignored His Spirit; the times we knew He was telling us one thing and we went and did another. Let us humble ourselves, confess our sin of disobedience to God, receive the forgiveness He has waiting for us, and then we may teach others also.

There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.
- Proverbs 14:12

No comments: