Sunday, June 14, 2009

For I Know Him

This simple, yet powerful phrase, was spoken by God in regards to one of his choicest servants, Abraham. It was said in context regarding the character of Abraham and why God chose him. So what did God know about Abraham? Was it his great wealth that caused God to choose him? Was it his physical dominance and power? Or was it his great knowledge and wisdom that he displayed? According to Jeremiah 9:23 these are the qualities that impress man; however, none of these areas were mentioned in this passage. Genesis 18:19 -

For I know him, that he will command his children and his household after him, and they shall keep the way of the Lord, to do justice and judgment; that the Lord may bring upon Abraham that which he hath spoken of him.

So how important is fatherhood? We can achieve all sorts of accomplishments in this life, but if we really want to impress God, He's watching to see how we raise our children. There are many great causes to which we can devote ourselves, but how are we raising our children? We may sacrifice much for the sake of the ministry, but that does not negate the responsibility to properly raise our children. We can adopt a myriad of philosophies about why children turn out wrong, but we are held accountable for how we raise our children.
Are we hurting today in our society where there seems to be an increase in the number of fatherless homes? Certainly there are a number of statistics to quote, as well as many well-known, big-name professionals, but let's view the perspective of a secular source. Washington Times columnist Rebecca Hagelin laments the popular mentality that "Dad seems to be the only person in modern society whom it is acceptable to belittle." As scientific studies consistently reveal, fatherless homes increase the likeliness of depression, poverty, school dropouts and pregnancies among adolescents. Hagelin argues that we should address these adverse effects by working to "equip fathers to lead in spite of a culture that tells them not to." This was taken from the Heritage Foundation, an organization promoting conservative values. The irony of this quote is that in this age of feminism a female is reaching out to her society with the need for male leadership. Why is it so important to have men at the helm? There is one very good reason - because God said so. He instituted the roles of authority and it is His way which works best. But He will not force His way on us; He will simply allow us to suffer the effects of our choices. It is not a matter of superior or inferior; it is simply matter of submitting to the authority that God has placed over us. As a child, I knew it was best to obey my parents. As I grew older, I saw that, while my parents weren't perfect, it was still in my best interests to submit to their authority. Now that I am a parent myself and can look back with some understanding of God's blessing on my life, I am very grateful that I learned that very important principle.
What did God know about Abraham? I believe he was a wealthy man; I believe he was a wise man; I believe he was a strong man. These qualities were exhibited in his life; yet the testimony that God shared with us concerning him is this - that he would lead his family in the right path. There are many things for which we can be known; but I choose this one above all others - as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.

No comments: